Monday, January 19, 2009

Heart went bump



Its been an odd life changing few weeks I have to admit. And I've never considered the Maynes medical family history till now, but something tells me its relevant all of a sudden. Friday, the 9th of January, one I won't forget. Kind of one of those days I dont know how I made out alive. I somehow dodged being smashed to bits in one of the biggest I-15 semi truck accidents. Tires screeching, cars dodging and semi's smashing I sat in the middle of it all without a scratch. Thanking my lucky stars i drove off to work feeling like I just dodged a bullet. Heh, I landed in the hospital anyways. About 4:50 at work, it had been a really stressful day for me, my chest started to hurt with this gripping pain along with my jaw and left arm. Ive had the feeling several times before just the months leading up to this so I figured it would go away like it had before. It did, about 6:30 i started to feel better. I've assumed it was panic and anxiety that was causing it, which would explain all the swelling feelings I've been getting in the chest for the past month. Anyways, I went about my normaly friday night activities went to bed and about 1am my chest pains woke me up again and I knew something was really wrong. I paced the floor for a bit thinking and debating if it was really E.R. worthy. (Yes yes, Maynes men are notorious for this type of thing.) Jen just having taken her sleep med she got up and woke her sister Les to drive us to the ER. By the time we got to IHC, I was pale, dizzzy and feeling like complete crap with the chest pains still there. Its amazing how fast ER's will process you if you say 2 magic words...."CHEST PAINS" zoom! they got me in a room and on all sorts of machines and meds. Morphein hmmm. Anyways turns out the blood tests showed I had a heart attack, even though the EKG showed normal. They sent me up to ICU for a while where Lynn and my Dad gave me a blessing, and they ran the gauntlet of tests. I have to admit, angiograms SUCK SUCK SUCK. Very painful proceedure. It showed a portion of my heart wasn't beating as vigoriously as the rest and what looks like where a blood clot may have been. Although they never found a clot, guessing its dissolved. So being down ranked to a normal hospital room I recovered from their tests and ate crappy hospital food. It was sooo weird being a 33 year old man amongst all the old people on that floor. I looked like a freak. See lol,





But it was so nice to have so many visitors. I'm really thankful for those that came to see me, call me, and text me on my phone. (Apparently they dont care so much about if you use a cell phone anymore...I was using mine in the ICU room lol). I got home on tuesday the 13th, with little answers but plenty of rest ahead of me. I'll post more when i know more, but right now its just meds for generality (blood thiners make me cold, and anti cholesterol make me tired). Looking back on things its easy to see the symptoms. I've been getting pains for months, even having the jaw pains since 08. Past few weeks I've had the tingly fingers but I just passed that off for sleeping wrong and bad circulation. :D


But im again so thankful for those that visited, called and keep calling to see how im doing.

1 comment:

meg said...

Dude! Quit ignoring crap like that! I am so glad to hear that you are doing better. I really have wanted to come visit--I'm retarded on the phone--but I am just barely getting over stupid bronchitis. So forgive me for not coming. Mom and I have talked about bringing you some yummy homemade cooking that you can freeze and pull out to help with dinners, so you'll have to put in some of your favs. I love you big bro. Let me know if I can do anything for ya--Keep in mind it's not just Maynes health history that has to do with it, you've got to slow it down bub and take some time for yourself :)